Buying a home is a very exciting time but it can sometimes feel a bit overwhelming too, especially if you’re a first time buyer. Our guide to the home buying process will help to lead you through it and explain things step-by-step.
It’s always a good idea to call in to one of our developments and speak to a Sales Advisor too – as they are always here to help and answer any other questions you may have.
Here is how the home buying process works:
- Initially it is always worth trying to work out how much you can afford. You can use our handy mortgage calculator to get an initial idea although we would always recommend a more detailed conversation with one of our panel of Independent Financial Advisors. They will be able to discuss everything from your financial situation to which kind of mortgage is right for you. You can ask a Sales Advisor on site as they can arrange this for you.
- Once you have this advice and have decided on the right mortgage, you can arrange a ‘Mortgage in Principle’ with your chosen lender.
- The fun bit starts now as you can come along to one of our developments and choose your perfect new home!
- Once you’ve decided, our Sales Advisor will reserve the home for you and at this point you should instruct a Solicitor to work on your behalf. We can put you in touch with one of our panel of Solicitors if required, all of whom are specialists in buying a new home.
- After the reservation your Independent Financial Advisor will complete your full Mortgage Application. Once this is approved, the lender will ask for a Survey to be carried out.
- Following the survey, the lender will issue your Mortgage Offer. These typically come within 7 – 21 days of your application.
- As soon as the mortgage is in place, you can sign and exchange the contracts on your new home. We will agree a legal completion date with you once the NHBC certificate has been issued, this is the day you’ll move in so you can start planning when to pack your suitcases and getting the removals arranged.
- Before you move in we will arrange a meeting with your Site Manager so they can show you round your new home and explain how everything works. This is a great time to ask any questions.
- The only thing left to do is move in! We hope you’re very happy in your new home.
Top tips for moving home
- If you’re in rented accommodation then don’t forget to let your landlord know that you’ll be moving out.
- It’s worth sorting out insurance for your new home in advance – and make sure it covers you from the date of legal completion.
- Removal firms can get booked up well in advance, so it’s a good idea to arrange this as soon as you can.
- Don’t forget to notify your existing utility companies that you are moving and to take meter readings before you leave.
- If you are planning to pack yourself then it may be an idea to start collecting boxes. Supermarkets often have some that they’ll give you or you can also buy them online.
- If you are planning to buy any furniture for your new home, don’t forget that it may take a while before it can be delivered so order it in advance.
- Packing and unpacking your boxes is so much easier if you’ve had a clear-out and decluttered before you start.
- It’s always a good idea to label each box with what is included and which room they are for.
- Don’t waste the food in your freezer! Start using it up before you move.
- Make a list of people, banks and other companies who need to be notified of your move and send out change of address cards or emails. It’s also worth arranging for the Post Office to redirect your mail – you can find out more about how to do this here.
- Your moving day can be a busy one – it may be a good idea to arrange for children or pets to be looked after on the day.
- Packing an emergency box containing any important items you may need on your moving day is recommended. These could include family or pet medication; refreshments like tea, coffee, milk, sugar and biscuits; dog food; bedding, towels and a change of clothes.
- Try and enjoy it – moving to a new home is one of the most exciting days of your life!